Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Comments on Profile Post by Elven-Dreams

1. Spike
    Spike
    I've played 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 9. DQ is okay but I find it to have too much level grinding for my taste. Shin Megami Tensei is the best of the big 3 JRPG franchises.
    Nov 23, 2019
  2. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    So how am i supposed to take that? Is DQ like Persona but too grind heavy or are they completely different and you prefer one over the other?
    Nov 23, 2019
  3. Spike
    Spike
    Persona is good, but I'm talking about the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games. Mainline SMT is like Persona but harder and I personally think it's better. In SMT, all of your party members are essentially Personas you fuse or recruit. Also it's a more standard JRPG and drops the dating sim mechanics, though I do like the mechanic that you can talk to enemies to make them leave or join your party.
    Nov 23, 2019
  4. Spike
    Spike
    Dragon Quest is a lot like SMT (and by extension Persona) in terms of gameplay. However, in my experience it tends to be on a much slower burn and a lot of the strategy is based on grinding efficiently. Like you need to grind but you can speed it up by killing special enemies and there are skills that let you bring out a random encounter.
    Nov 23, 2019
  5. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    Ah, there is the disconnect. I care about the exploration, presentation, plot and characters, not the tired old JRPG combat formula, as if that garbage was even worth mentioning.
    Nov 23, 2019
  6. Spike
    Spike
    Mmm I like the stories they have. They do the "moral choice" thing but the games don't really tell you which option is "good" or "bad".Like in 4 there's a part where your friend is being possessed by a demon and you have to decide whether to kill him or try to save him. And there's not really a karma meter but different people call you on it and it influences what ending you get.
    Nov 23, 2019
  7. Spike
    Spike
    I think the characterization in the games is interesting? Like they do have human party members but depending on which ending you go for one or all of them usually end up trying to kill you which I kinda like.
    Nov 23, 2019
  8. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    Ehem...We are supposed to be talking about Dragon Quest?
    Nov 23, 2019
  9. Spike
    Spike
    oh sorry got distracted. Dragon Quest is good. The SNES port of 1 is good. I've heard 11 is rad but I haven't played it.
    Nov 23, 2019
  10. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    So, once again, in terms of exploration, presentation, plot and characters, DQ is "Not" like SMT? I assume not, because DQ is rather cartoony and somewhat childish and SMT is...Typical Japanese.
    Nov 23, 2019
  11. Spike
    Spike
    They’re pretty much tonal opposites. I’m not sure if SMT is typical Japanese, the mainline games aren’t particularly anime. Dragon Qiest looks like fantasy Dragon Ball cause Akira Toriyama did it and is very silly. SMT is like satanist post apocalypse digimon. It’s dark in the sense it has dark themes but not particularly gory.
    Nov 23, 2019
  12. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    Then i consider that a glowing endorsement, especially if Toriyama had something to do with it, i mean, i likely already found my favourite character, and all i played was the demo. Whom i literally just now found out is the only Playable Character to die in the entire series. Utterly, fucking, typical...
    Nov 23, 2019
  13. Spike
    Spike
    Oh yeah don’t get me wrong I think dragon quest is good and Toriyama’s art direction is keno. I just find them to be more slow paced than I like. I think 9 is my favorite but I doubt I’ll finish it. The Dragon Quest Monsters games are also pretty great.
    Nov 23, 2019
  14. Elven-Dreams
    Elven-Dreams
    I prefer slow paced, not that it matters now.
    Nov 23, 2019