Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Discussion in 'Books, Books, Books!' started by DominaLumina, Oct 29, 2012.

1. DominaLumina

DominaLumina Crazy Bitch

Am I the only one slightly... disappointed by the overall plot of this book, especially the ending? I feel like it's hyped up so much and treated like an amazing piece of English literature but... it's a very awkward read, I guess. Character motive seems to make little to no sense, especially in the character of Julia, and everything just feels... off.

Anyone else feel this way?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good book, just... not as good as what I'd been led to believe.

2. The Sims

The Sims I aint a game >.

Yeah....

3. AngelOfLight

AngelOfLight Vegeta's slut Goku's girl

Yes , finally someone who agrees !

It was just like on thing , then a completely different thing half way through. It was like Family guy , cuts to completely something that doesn't even relate to the ep and when it gets to the end you forget the start. Amazing literature , stupid time plots though.

So close.

4. Ddestoryerofworlds2

Ddestoryerofworlds2 The Damn Alpha Man

I also agree with this.

He.. Missed big Brother/

I guess it showed in a society like that only works so long because people "want" to "Not" be in control.

Just like sheep or cattle.

5. lead118

lead118 Guest

First of all, it has an unhappy ending, so if you expected Winston and the Proles to take down Big Brother and Eurasia I can see how you'd have been disappointed. This however does not mean the book is bad.

As for character motives it can get tricky.

Winston for example has unclear motivations. The thought "Down with Big Brother," pops into his head almost randomly. The only thing he knows is that he wants freedom. His mind has been numbed from years under Ingsoc, so it makes sense that his actions, thoughts, and motivations are just as hazy.

Julia is a typical free spirit. She represents freedom from the Party's repression not only in terms of ideology but also things like sexuality. The fact that she has slept with members of the Party, even some Inner Party members shows that she is a very strong force, cutting through the smoke and mirrors of Big Brother. Her character instills confidence in Winston, which is a sort of emotional climax. Winston knows that he's doing the right then because of Julia's involvement.

The horror and tragedy of the book is the fact that both characters are laid low by the Party and forced to betray not only each other but their own selves. In Room 101 they are tortured by their deepest fears until they submit and sell each other out. As O'Brien points out, it's not enough to kill enemies of the Party. They must be reeducated first, and that's exactly what happens to Winston and Julia.

The end is dualistic. Winston has been reeducated and loves Big Brother, but he fantasizes about his own death. It reflects the idea of double-think and living a paradoxical life.