Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Computer question (How long does an average person keep a computer for?

Discussion in 'Computer Help Room' started by crazyguy771, Oct 17, 2012.

1. crazyguy771

crazyguy771 n00b

Computer question (How long does an average person keep a computer for?
    When is it time to purchase a new computer?

Some people I have talked to told me its good to purchase a new computer every 2 years however that could be expensive for most people. I always thought every 4-5 years.

What is your opinion on this?

The computer I own is 11 months old?

2. TheSe7enth

TheSe7enth Paradox

It really just depends on what you use your computer for. There's no need to upgrade too frequently as system requirements even for high-end games doesn't really increase that significantly.

Up until this year, I was actually still using a single-core CPU that they hadn't manufactured since '06. So that's how out-of-date I was.

In all actuality, I'd only rebuild my computer after significant updates were made. For example, if you have a Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, and a PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card? Yeah, you might want to go ahead and upgrade if you want a high-end gaming computer. But if you already have an i5 or i7 and a PCIe 3.0 card, there's probably no real reason to upgrade for a while.

Every year is silly -- I'd say 2.5, maybe 3 years, on average. Enough to keep up with the increasing system requirements, if you can afford it.

However, if you aren't a high-end gamer, there's not much incentive to buying a new PC. XP is still supported to begin with, but if you can run Windows 7, you're fine. Any multi-core processor and 2+ GB of RAM is more than enough for most users; no need to upgrade if you don't need more performance than you're using to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  3. duswind

duswind gamer

some people get the "newest" model every 6 months... buti tend to make mine last 5 years

4. ziqiang

ziqiang n00b

Hello

Hi::D
    My lenovo computer used 5 years and now also in using.
    Usually pay attention to maintenance,Multi-replacement and check some small hardware,attention to cleaning up your computer.;)
    akkus-adapter.com

5. AngelOfLight

AngelOfLight Vegeta's slut Goku's girl

Hmmmm average is around 5 years.