Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

I can go to jail, vote, die in the name of my country; but I can't drink??

Discussion in 'Intelligent Discussion' started by BulletSponge, Apr 8, 2009.

1. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Bored with this site

America has the highest drinking age of any western country with the age limit set at 21. I find it interesting that I can be excuted for a crime, I can vote, hell I can even get my arse shot off in a foriegn land but I can't drink. This law though is paper thin as teens all across America get plastered everyday. Every now and again there is a little blip on the radar where some people say that the drinking age is being reduced to 18. The possibility of booze laws being similar to the rest of the world creates a frenzy like atmosphere where people begin creating petitions or creating FaceBook groups to help the cause of lowering the drinking age. In the end most of these movements are bogus and there is no way in hell that the federal goverenment is going to lower the drinking age. I want to know your thoughts on lowering the drinking age.
    Imagine you were in the seat of power restructuring the statutes. What restrictions would you put on teenagers buying alcohol? What would be the minimum age to purchase? Would you allow consumption and possesion at a younger age but still keep the age to purchase the same? What would be the punishment for drinking and driving? These are just a few questions to get your mind going.

2. Twilight Inferno

Twilight Inferno Love Shine

My father was born in Cuba, and there was no drinking age there. Did they see people constantly drunk? No.

Setting the drinking age too high creates a psychological desire for alcohol, usually out of rebellion. While some people will undoubtedly drink to forget their problems, rebellion is what keeps it going at a young age.

If it's legal, then it won't be rebellious to drink. It's that simple. If I were able to develop restrictions, I'd simply require a special license for drinking booze, probably. That way, one could charge hefty amounts to take a test for how to drink booze properly (No drunken driving and such), and it could end up helping the government by causing people to spend cash. It'll also cause bums like my uncle to not spend all of their free change on booze if they don't have a license.

Set the age of drinking to 16, which is the minimum age of sexual consent (Up to the age of 25, I believe) in most places. Make it so the license has to be renewed every six months or two years or something. Do the same for cigarettes and marijuana.

DarkStar likes this.
  3. Chaossama

Chaossama Just a user, literally

Eh, I have to agree there. Since I'm from HK, where the age of drinking is 18 (which is also the age that you can start getting your license), I find that US's policy of that doesn't make sense. As it is, people I went to school with go to 'illegal' drinking parties even though if they just go back home, they can drink as much as they want.

I can understand that you probably shouldn't set it to 16, because generally they hope that you mature a bit and aren't reckless with your driving before you try drinking and driving (and despite what everyone says, a LOT of teens do that, so no surprise there). But I believe that if you set it to 18 or so, they at least have the experience driving enough that if they do drink and drive, they're legal adults at that age and thus can be taken as responsible by the law for going to jail.

Ah well. Just my 2 cents here.

4. Blaze

Blaze Guest

If the drinking age has to go lower, it will be at 18, no less. At the very least, let them know how it is to be fully liable for your actions. Also, on a scientific basis, alcohol has a lower effect on those whom are more "physically" mature.

I don't see the problem with those being allowed to drink doing so, but do keep in mind the actions they may or may not take while under the influence may or may not affect others. DUIs, Domestic Violence, social and professional stigmas, just to name a few. As I see it, the age limit is in place because the government wants to lower alcohol related issues, but is reluctant to pass other restrictive measures that may be considered "intrusive". Though basic idea of an age limit in order to curb behavioural problems is mostly flawed; there is no set age for the development of maturity.

So, as long as drinkers maintain their responsibility in ensuring the safety and well-being of non-drinkers that they may or may not affect while under the influence, then all is well; unfortunately, that is not the case with everyone. Until they do, the government will have to step in, and laws they legislate do not differentiate between those who have some modicum of self-control and those who'd prefer a nice, warm jail cell.

Personally - and my opinion is probably heavily biased and somewhat discriminatory - after being in 2 near-misses with drunk drivers, having to pull several extra shifts at work due to co-workers with hangovers, and speaking to several close acquaintances who've been victims of alcohol related domestic violence, I think I can say this: Take responsibility or take your "beer bongs" elsewhere. If anything else I'd like to see the drinking age doubled, at least until the dregs of society sober up enough.

After all - and I may be going out on a limb here - I am a "good" person right? I pay taxes, I donate to a few charities, I take part in community projects, I try not to depend too much on others; and even though I may be a bit of a snob, indulge in sweets, and have a higher expectation of "proper behaviour", surely I haven't generated enough negative karma to warrant being blind-sided by someone who was so "boozed up" they couldn't tell the difference between a ball-point pen and a DVD, much less the colors of a traffic light.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
    Angel of Game likes this.
  5. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

the reason the age is so high in America is because if it was lower like here in England then you would have teenagers drunk out of their heads every week.

And i think they are trying to lower the drinking age here in England.

6. Chaossama

Is it really because of that? Then again they probably were like "Find the stupidest teens around and generally just assume the worst if they're given alcohol on a legal basis". I know that I at least would find that prospect a bit disturbing, and given that America has that whole "We want our society to show we are represent the civilized world" or something like that, I suppose being drunk out of your head is just not something they would want, bad impression and all that.....

@Blaze: yes, we may not know the age for the development of maturity (given that it's different for everyone), but I can at least see why they would choose 21 in that case. From what I can tell, 21 is the point that research says everyone is usually done maturing by. At that point, they're less likely to make those impulsive decisions that usually inflict teens and thus by doing so, they can apply it to a more general population rather than wondering if the person's maturity would arrive 2 years after they start drinking.

7. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

I think it is of that because no country wants to basicly say Oh USA is a s***hole, americans wouldn't like that the same as any other country.

8. Chaossama

And given that the USA has the reputation of being the sole remaining superpower and basically is the force behind NATO, even more so.......

9. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

Yeah but there must be some people that see chavs getting drunk at the age of 14 and younger, so that shows you people could sit there saying well don't they just bring down the community.

10. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Bored with this site

*Mods I have no regret for this, this needs to be said*

Jumping Jesus Christ Wazza. Shut your godamn mouth and stop de-railing threads with your tireless diarrea of the mouth. Never before have I seen someone talk to much and say so very little. Why must you always make useless little quibs about something that is usually off topic. Do people just ignore you at home?? Is that why you come here and spew everything that pops into that little head of yours?

Just shut you damn mouth sometimes and listen to what people have to say. If you talk half as much as you listen maybe you'll have more friends.

أنا أتلقّى ما من ندامة

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
    Dr. Nick likes this.
  11. Chaossama

Okay....could you do more than just saying I fail? Yes I realize I fail at most things in life, but I honestly was trying to get a feel for why someone would set it at that age. Just telling me /Fail tells me nothing, let alone your comment of 13 year olds being drunk in public is not something I believe would at ALL work, given that you'd have basically impulsive idiots who are out getting drunk in public. I'll stick with 18 and leave it at that.

12. Devin

Devin Administrator Staff Member Administratior

You can die serving your country, that is fighting for rights.

What is drinking a beer and then going driving and killing someone or dieing because you drank too much?

13. Kyoujin

Kyoujin Growls engraved over time

Bankai!

[Off-Topic/]
    Huzzah! Finally somebody speaks out in public about wazza. *Shakes Speed & Angles errr I mean BulletSponge's hand* wazza, if your gonna post something, might as well post something MEANINGFUL! Even I wasn't as clumsy as you. You even managed to make the thread go off topic from giving your opinion of drinking in a lower age to "OH WOW, USA IS LIEK THAT TO BE TOUGH AND MIGHTY LIKE A GOD NATION". wazza, this is the reason why you were banned oh so much and even had your valued member status removed[/Off-Topic]

Now back on-topic.
    I agree with Chaossama. The drinking age is at 21 over here in the US because of that reason. 21 is the usual age of full maturity but that is a problem since they were never used to the alcohol and don't know how to act towards it since they have the most freedom.. Most of the drunken accidents in our streets is because people who are at the age 21-24ish drank and drove their cars and got their results. But if they cause most of the accidents in that age where they are supposed to be mature, then how will they act at age 18-20? or perhaps 16-20? Some people might say that its best to let it stay at 21, but yet the numbers of fatalities keep on rising. But what if we did lower the age to 18 or perhaps 16? Could they learn how to be responsible for drinking seeing as though they are responsible for driving when they started learning at age 16? Who knows...
    My opinion, it's probably wise for the US officials to decrease it SLIGHTLY like perhaps 19 or maybe even 18.

Ba Bye!

14. Chaossama

Oh.....sorry for having gone along with it then....Anyway, yeah I understand, but then I suppose that's more a matter of them being idiotic or confident. I can imagine that, unless it's been hammered into your head again and again, people will conveniently 'forget' that they're not supposed to drink and drive. Either that or they're like "I'm not drunk, I can still think JUST fine". Not much you can do about it....but I will agree again that it probably should be brought to 18 LOWEST because before then, teens will probably be impulsive (Yay I got a car, let's go driving and celebrate, etc), so at 18, hopefully it's worn off a bit, and you can then, if hammered in enough, get the idea that you're NOT supposed to drink and drive, no matter HOW little you may have drunk

15. mrmystic

mrmystic MoreAkwardthanaJewateastr

Governmental regulations are no substitute for proper parenting.
    Kids should know better than to drink and drive. Does it really have to be the government that teaches them that?
    Parents should teach their kids how to deal with alcohol, preferably before kids start getting sloshed and driving their brand new rides into elementary schools.
    Also, America has many more kids driving than any other western country. More drunk kids driving = more accidents.

16. Chaossama

Oh I totally agree. I just think that the government can give better punishments than parents again. Being grounded doesn't quite compare to being in prison. But yes, it should be the parents' responsibility to teach their own kids not to drink and drive. I just wish they actually did......

17. Rael

Rael Yes I know I am young.

Yea

If there was No drinking limit, there will be less kids getting drunk, most children to look all grown up, same with smoking. If they let kids smoke, they'll think oh it's for any age. It don't make me look hard.

18. Chaossama

Given that I doubt most people do it to give an impression, and that it's mostly for the effects it'll give on the body, I doubt that just removing it would do much. Sure there would be some that do it for the 'bad' image, but most do it because they feel with alcohol, they can 'relax' and do what they want. Same with smoking. People do it because they either want to feel calm or they want to have the effect it has on the body. They don't do it for image's sake.

19. Zeusy

Zeusy The Surreal Love Bastard

I been Drinking since 12, Due to the fact the both my parents are immigrants, and my father is from a Heavy Drinking Family, and grew up in a country where the natives are very Heavy Drinkers (Trinidad). I don't Even drink that much and If they lowered the drinking age they would ge rid of hat mystique about under-aged drinking. Because I mean c'mon do you really give a Shit about a person who is over 21 and drinking alcohol?

To Me its a more of a Cultural Thing

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  20. Chaossama

I may not give a shit about a person who is over 21 and drinking alcohol, but generally I can at least be assured that they have come into full maturity and thus they have more control over themselves. Not everyone has as much control as you do, and I know that people, after a while would just drink heavily,make a general fool of themselves, and honestly, we don't need more idiots. It's been seen that teens generally are more impulsive about things. Given the effects of alcohol, both mental and physical, compulsive drinking (which is probably what would happen if they started young and kept from there) is NOT something lawmakers want to encourage. At 18 at least, you can be held accountable for it. Beforehand, how could they? You're still considered a minor by law.