Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Im just curious of your opinion on legalizing weed...

Discussion in 'Messing around and talking' started by commandx, Mar 25, 2008.

Legalization of marijuana, should it be legal or stay illegal?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2009.
  1. Yes its just a plant...

49.2%
  2. No, it should stay illegal...

32.2%
  3. I dont have any opinions on it...

18.6%
  1. frankenfish

frankenfish Computer Guru

people have been getting high since the dawn of man. marijuana was the first cultivated plant in history.
    my point is that the law is pointless. it would free up our prisons for real criminals
    thank you
    not if people grow pot for themselves. it would immediatly become near worthless.
    is that worse than people being killed by drug dealers and gang-bangers?

lets stick with these for now as i feel they are the most important issues

2. mrmystic

mrmystic MoreAkwardthanaJewateastr

Real Criminals are people who break the law. They are going to jail for a reason, making weed "legal" would not get the people in jail out of jail.

[/QUOTE]not if people grow pot for themselves. it would immediately become near worthless.[/QUOTE]

If weed would become legal, it still wouldn't be "free". People can't make their own liquor, do you think that people would be allowed to grow their own weed? No, it would all have to be controlled by the government. Drug dealers would still have a place in society, as they would be able to undercut any price the Gov. could offer. Thus, the drug dealer culture wouldn't disappear, and it is concivable it might grow : people buy weed illegally, but since it's legal to posses, the danger is cut in half. Thus more people buy from dealers as it's cheaper, even as people can buy it legally.

3. Nollog

Nollog n00b

So, you're saying it normal for people to want to escape reality through drugs?
    Some people don't need that though, so I'm left disagreeing.

Just because 2% (random, low number to illustrate my point) of people need to alter their perception of reality once or twice a week doesn't mean everyone should do that legally.
    What it means is those 2% of people need some help, or a hobby that doesn't revolve around altering their reality to feel better.

People with no respect for authority don't belong in jail now?
    If you don't agree with the law, you have channels to change it. You don't have an excuse to simply disregard it at your own pleasure.
    You talk to lawmakers, etc. to get the law changed.
    People who smoke weed go to jail because they do not abide by the law. Saying they shouldn't be in jail just because they haven't killed or robbed anyone yet is moot.
    Yes, yet.

Pot is hard to grow, they're a very particular plant.
    But in all honesty, you believe people would grow a plant to harvest, dry, crush, etc. its buds rather than simply buying a bag?

See what drugs do to people?

4. frankenfish

in hartford, ct it is illegal for a man to kiss his wife on sunday and illegal to educate dogs. should every married man and dog trainer in hartford be arrested? by your logic the should.
    my chemistry teachers makes port. i'm about to start some wine

If weed would become legal, it still wouldn't be "free". People can't make their own liquor, do you think that people would be allowed to grow their own weed? No, it would all have to be controlled by the government. Drug dealers would still have a place in society, as they would be able to undercut any price the Gov. could offer. Thus, the drug dealer culture wouldn't disappear, and it is concivable it might grow : people buy weed illegally, but since it's legal to posses, the danger is cut in half. Thus more people buy from dealers as it's cheaper, even as people can buy it legally.[/QUOTE]

its not as hard as you think. all you need is a sun lamp wich can be purchased from any neighborhood petstore for around $30. believe me when i say there wouldn't be more drug dealers. find me any statistic from any country with legalized marijuana that supports your argument.

yes

it is MUCH higher than that my friend
    our country was based on challenging authority. respect is to be earned. what have they done to earn anyone's respect?
    believe me, we're working very hard on it. MA has been a huge success and hopefully other states will follow suite.
    implying every stoner is a murderer? we're to lazy to get off the couch let alone kill anyone. you know how much energy that takes?
    yes. quality control that the consumer can monitor
    if it was legal and accessible would they be killing each other for it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  5. mrmystic

Making wine is legal. Making Liquor is not. Like growing a tobacco plant won't get you arrested, but growing weed will. Why? Because the gov. wants to make the tax money off it. I assume you know that people get arrested every year for smuggling cigarettes. Why? Taxes. Cigs. are legal, but people still get sent to jail by trying to avoid the laws. Do you really think weed will be that different?? That the gov. will only tax it a little bit? That's just ignorant. P.S. Move to Denver, or Alaska if you want to smoke weed. You can grow your own plants and / or posses up to an ounce with no penalty.

6. Nollog

Nollog n00b

Psychotherapists would disagree.

No, it is a very low percentage of people.
    Don't lump everyone in with you, you are not "the norm".

No, America was based on freeing slaves, and the idea that everyone should be free.
    And in the quest for this, they saw that rules were needed to limit that freedom.
    This is why the law against cannabis was introduced.

Then continue.

No, I'm highlighting your disdain for the law just because you disagree with it.

Compare it to Alcohol, so my post won't be so wordy.
    People will not grow cannabis themselves.

No, they would be driving around killing children by running them over. [due to being under the influence of a psychotropic drug. It happens now, why not when it's legal? ]
    They would be going for harder drugs because all they want to do is disobey the law.

7. fuzzy

fuzzy Fuzzeh Butt :3

I don't know about fully legalizing it, there are to many variables. But decriminalizing it would defiantly save a lot of money in the gov and room in prison.

8. frankenfish

thank you fuzzy

9. RayneK

RayneK I'a Cthulhu fhtagn

First, pardon my relative lack of knowledge compared to the 'Nollog vs. frankenfish' debate.

Second, quotes!

Third, my opinion.
    My thoughts follow the same pattern as our late flaming hammer lgeg and the forum's resident furry extraordinaire fuzzy. I believe that marijuana should be legalized by the government, with its cost taxed to hell of course. Growing up attending two schools were drug use was fairly commonplace, the pot smokers were the 'better people' to be around in the case of druggies (but maybe that's personal opinion I suppose). It was easy to tell who got high before school: they were slow-moving, calm, and the natural comedy actually grew on me. Am I saying my opinion isn't biased? Far from it.

But if the government decided to legalize marijuana, it would have to tax it enough to make profit as well as offer (how can I say this best....) a 'dealer authorization test,' or something similar, to lower the illegal selling and keep tabs on what amounts and strength of weed are being sold.

As Blaze stated earlier, part of the fascination with marijuana is that it's illegal. Making it legal would greatly reduce the users of the drug.

Fourth, conclusion/end note.
    Oh, and before I read 'everyone saying legalize it smokes it': I'm 100% straightedge, have been my whole life, so this comes from someone on the other side. That's my 2 hundredths of a dollar (or respective equivalent of 2 cents).

Fifth, graphs! Now with 10% more color!
    Sadly these numbers are from 2003-2004, but will hopefully shed some light on an actual number of users.
    [​IMG]
    Estimated Numbers (in Thousands) and Percentages of Daily Marijuana Users, by Age and Gender: 2003

[​IMG]
    Employment among Adults Aged 18 to 64, by Frequency of Marijuana Use

[​IMG]
    Use of Substances Other Than Marijuana, by Frequency of Marijuana Use: 2003

* "Other" refers to retired persons, disabled persons, homemakers, students, or other persons not in the labor force.

** Past year marijuana dependence or abuse is not applicable among nonusers.

My source: http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k4/dailyMJ/dailyMJ.htm

10. vortex4000

vortex4000 Viva la Vortex.

Holy sweet mother of hell. You guys post alot in a day.

Look. It will not keep people out of jail. Things like that make people do things. Mainly illegal things. So either way, they will end up in jail eventually.

11. Angel of Game

Angel of Game You want ban?

Why we need them going to jail? The weed users are need rehabilitation. If government do that, there will become lesser. Am i true? ;)

12. frankenfish

nope. you don't need rehab for weed unless your really messed up. it would be a waste of government money

finally some backup. thank you raynek and fuzzy. shouldn't zeus be chiming in here? our does he even come anymore?

13. Draconis479

Draconis479 Dancin the safety dance

Let me start by asking why the hell this thread is still open? It was dead for awhile and someone showed up and revived it followed by a general groan of why? But eh, whatever I don't care that much, just curious.

Now, on to my opinion of the subject matter:

I really don't care either way if it gets legalized or not. If its legalized then the government should tax the hell out of it. Let the government make a profit out of the idiots doing what they are going to do anyways, christ knows America needs the money. Besides, who cares if someone partakes in a little recreational weed? I know I don't, anyways yes people do stupid shit under the influence of drugs, but they also do so under influence of nothing. I'm just saying that if a person is psychotic they are psychotic. Sure they can become that way though drugs but I don't remember ever hearing about someone going insane from weed.

But like I said I could care less either way, let this pointless and old argument continue.

14. fuzzy

Well I never said to legalize it, just decriminalize it. Oh and that "government could tax it" line is complete BS. They wouldn't be able to keep track of it in order to tax it.

15. mrmystic

You really think? I don't know if you've heard, but they find drug dealers and users now. How would it be that different if it were decriminalized?

16. frankenfish

you suggesting that somehow the gov't is keeping track of it now.

you realize that the majority of those who voted in the poll think it should be legalized

17. mrmystic

I'm suggesting that if you think the gov will legalize it without taxing it, you're crazy. As far as this poll is concerned, I'm glad I live in America where the minority often has power over the majority.

18. frankenfish

they did it in canada. why not here?
    do you think thats right? that the majority should have less power than the minority?

19. Nollog

Nollog n00b

Hey, I see a trend here!
    Confirms "gateway drug", and shows somewhat of a rise in unemployment of heavy users.
    Furthermore, confirms my low rate.

How does this data support you, franky?
    Other than his opinion of course...

20. fuzzy

I'm not sure what exactly you ment by that. But what I'm saying is that even if the gov taxed it it wouldn't meen anything cuz the people just wouldn't put it down on their taxes. The gov already does a crappy job of tracking it as it is.