Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Increase the posting time limit

Discussion in 'Comments and suggestions' started by Charismatic_Caterpie, Jan 10, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charismatic_Caterpie

Charismatic_Caterpie Professional Gamer

I don't think moderators have this limit (may or may not), but I've just noticed now that for users, there's a 20-second interval between each post. It happened when I sent a message, then accidentally refreshed it while it was in the middle, and then tried to re-send it. Obviously, the first post went through, but that's when I got the notice.

Anyway, I'd like to suggest that the time be raised from twenty seconds to 1 minute or a minute and a half, for users. Twenty seconds is so inconsequential that it does not dissuade users from spamming or multiple posting, because it's such a short time that most users will have finished typing their following messages within the time limit's expiration. If the limit were higher, and could therefore hinder the more disruptive posters, then we'd see less spam per whatever time measurement on the forums. The increased time limit would not afflict most rule-abiding posters so much, as they usually put more care and time into their posts anyway, and do not post every other minute, unless if they absolutely have to post something in a response, which I find is not often. Most abusive or disruptive posters might lose interest in the wait it takes just to post their next message, also, and could just give up, effectively "stopping them cold", for the time being.

2. Dantos

Dantos ¦)

Exactly! This would atleast stop double posting, i guess. :alien:

3. im2ignorant2care

im2ignorant2care Hersh's French Fry Pirate

I've seen forum features where you're held to a decently high posting cool-down time until you get, say 25 posts. Then it lowered, and lowered again at, say 50 posts.

For example:

Less than 25 posts: 10 minute cool-down time between posts.
    25 - 50 posts: 5 minute cool-down time between posts.
    50 - 100 posts: 2 minute cool-down time.
    100+: 1 minute cool-down.

4. Devin

Devin Administrator Staff Member Administratior

A 10 minute cool down? That's a little extreme. Maybe we can bump it up another 10 seconds or so, but I don't see any problem with how it is now, people will still double post even if it was 1 minute.

5. Angel of Game

Angel of Game You want ban?

I think it's better like this :

Less than 25 posts: 5 minutes cool-down time between posts.
    25 - 50 posts: 4 minutes cool-down time between posts.
    50 - 100 posts: 3 minutes cool-down time.
    100 - 500: 2 minutes cool-down.
    500 - 1,500+: 1 minute cool-down.
    3,333 (king): 10 seconds cool-down. o_O
    9,999 (crazy!): 1 second cool-down. o_O

By ignoring the last two, I think these will do the trick. :)

6. bwood74

bwood74 Defqon.1 FTW!!

I don't know I think Charismatic_Caterpie has a point. Because if you accidently press the "submit reply" button twice, then it saves you from getting a warning for double posting.

7. Devin

But the 20 seconds should already save you from double posting.

8. bwood74

bwood74 Defqon.1 FTW!!

Would the 20 seconds be different if you had an fast computer or a slow computer? Because with a slow computer wouldn't it slow the 20 seconds down giving you a double post(if you accidently pressed "submit reply" twice)?

9. Devin

No, it would return the message

this post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes. You will be redirected to that thread.

10. coolsashok

coolsashok n00b

Need burning cd mp3 free software

Hi all!
    Does somedody know burning cd free mp3 program?

11. bwood74

bwood74 Defqon.1 FTW!!

Oh ok. Do you have a program that if you double post and there exactly the same thing twice that it only sends one out so it's not a double post but if it's to different posts by the same person it only sends the first one out and u get a warning for the second even though it didn't go out?

12. fgplayer

fgplayer ;3

I think that the time should be increased, it would stop spamming a little more.

13. Naughty-Girl

Naughty-Girl xX Lost in the Moment Xx

My opinion.

Personally I don't think increasing the time limit would help prevent spamming at all.
    If a person is going to spam, they will spam, regardless if they are made to wait 20seconds or 2minutes. Yet increasing the time limit to anything over a minute I find a bit extreme.
    To increase it will not stop spamming, but it will slow down people posting in forums. Do you really wish to risk people not replying to forums just because they have to wait a certain amount of time to post? Try it and see the results.

14. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

I think that, that is probably the best idea. It would cut down on alot of spam.

15. Devin

Yay for posting in a 6 month old thread!

It doesn't need to be increased, it's perfectly fine. I certainly don't wanna wait 5-4-3 minutes to post, and no one should, if someone spams we can delete all there posts at a click of our mouses.

16. reallyemma

reallyemma ¿pɐǝɥ ɹn ɥʇıʍ uıop nɥɔʇɐʍ

Yeah, I agree with that. . . ^

17. Nicholasdude

Nicholasdude Banned

You know for once i agree compleatly with Devin.

18. Angel of Game

Angel of Game You want ban?

Too many spambots post at this thread and I don't think we'll dicuss about this matter anymore. So, I lock this thread.

:locked:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.