Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Is Human Life A Good Thing?

Discussion in 'Intelligent Discussion' started by Kenichi, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Kenichi

Kenichi Epicness

Is humanity a virus to the planet? We inhabit an area, kill everything, destroy the terrain to suit our own purpose, and plunder all the resources, before moving to a new area. We destroy the planet around us for self greed of a materialistic life. Surely, the only way to protect the earth would be to eliminate humanity as a whole?

Alternatively, are we the pinnacle of evolution? Are we owed everything on this planet? According to most religions, the world was created for us. Every animal and resource was made for us, when needed. If they’re created for us, why do we need to care for the world? Animals kill other animals… It’s nature. Is humanity self elected governers of nature?

So, is Humanity a good thing?

2. Smithy9

Smithy9 pube

poo

I kind of agree that humanity is evil, but then again, what is there without humanity? Humanity is all that we know. We are the only known sentient beings in existance, so one could question if there really is existance without human perception. To be honest, at one state the earth was a fiery ball of magma that was totally inhospitable for millions of years, however eventually it grew an atmosphere and developed organisms through long periods of time. When talking about climate change and the greenhouse effect etc, I think that the threat said processes pose on the actual planet is minimal, yet it poses a big problem to humanity itself. Sure, the earth is beautiful and what not, but that is only through the human perception, so if we destroyed nature ie trees and vegetation and then as a consequence died out, who else would be there to comment on the sheer beauty of nature when/if it grew back? Beauty is only expressed by humans, so if climate change takes affect and we all die and destroy nature, if the planet recovers or not, who will care? The only reason other organisms live is to survive and reproduce; yet humans have such a greater depth of life like culture, literature and art. So to summarize (summarise?), I think if we think of human existance as a horrible 'virus' that sweeps sweet mother earth, it is only humans who have the ability to think that, and in a way, I guess we are a virus that will one day implode upon itself.

3. Rubylula

Rubylula Like a mother bitch.

No, kill yourself.

4. iRawrYay

iRawrYay Mr. Sir Dinosaur Man

I like where you're going with this.

We're all fucked, no matter how you look at it, we can't prevent something without causing something else to happen. We're all pent upon greed and self-interest.

5. Smithy9

Smithy9 pube

What do you mean by fucked? And in response to your comment on greed, I think you're onlyu focusing on negative traits that us humans posses.

6. iRawrYay

All we do is do things for personal gain, whether it be in appearance, reputation, or anything. We can't do anything because we deem it good, when you look at someone that does something good, you'll call them a goody goody, people will see them as a good person. Their image is created by what they do, so in the end, no matter what it is we do, it's only because we find it advantageous for ourselves.

7. Flounce

Flounce Tactical Wordsmith

Not for everything that isn't humanity... And being realistic, most of humanity is bad for the rest of it.

I mean, really, what have we done thats actually benefitted something besides ourselves.
    Obviously fixing things that we broke doesn't count.

8. zen2758

zen2758 n00b

macke life how you want it:coolgleam::coolgleam::321:

9. SC-Glider

SC-Glider -

Humanity is a great thing and a terrible thing. Improving the world and dissolving worldly values all at the same time.

10. Smithy9

Smithy9 pube

But what is there beyond humanity? We know of nothing else. Life beyond humanity is so basic and centred primarily around survival, they cannot experience the diversity of humanity like art and literature. Instead they are instinctively programmed to survive and/or reproduce. Humanity is unique, and it was so unbelievebly lucky that earth can sustain life let alone have inhabitants as intelligent as humans. So if there were no humans, the only form of sentient life in the whole universe that we know of would be gone forever, and the chances of an equally intelligent race being created again are very very slim. So everyone stop bashing humanity!

11. iRawrYay

I see where you're going with this, but it's true though. There isn't much we as humans have done to give back to what we've taken for granted. We believe we are the smartest and most intelligent beings alive. For all we know, we are, but there's always that chance that there's something out there, that could be more intelligent than we are. Okay, jump back before all of this, to the Cro Magnon era. They were all about survival of the fittest. Look at us today, it's the same. Only difference is, is that everyone makes a living, but the ones that make more money, will survive in this sort of world. Not exactly survival of the fittest, but it has the same effect.

12. Rawr Girl

Rawr Girl Banned

:p

I dunno there's goods and positives.

Humans are the most capable of killing things so that's a good and bad point.
    Humans have emotions which can be shown allot more easier than animals.
    Some people can't take life and commit suicide.

So my opinion it's kinda bad. :L

13. Ashigaru

Ashigaru Punk In Drublic

Humanity isn't bad at all.
    Humans kill other animals for survival,
    If we don't do that,
    We die.
    Humans are animals on this planet too,
    Trying to do what they can to survive.
    But i do admit this, Humans can sometimes be foolish
    There is no reason for war, Or killing other people,
    We fight in wars!
    And we're the most intelligent race..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  14. iRawrYay

You say a point, and then you disprove yourself in that same point, make up your mind on where you stand.

15. Ftlulz

Ftlulz Finally given up..

In the past we have truly fucked up the world in many way, slaughtered many species to their extinction, destroyed their homes, polluted to world to levels of such high toxicity. We have managed to create such an amazing amount of destruction. But then we have been capable of creating such amazing beauty. There are many people in this world who fight for the rights of the Earth and to preserve its natural beauty. So to say that humanity is evil is unfair, as there are 7 billion people in this world currently, all with ranging views on how the Earth and its resources should be used.
    In time i believe we can as a whole stabalise the negative effects that we are having on this planet, as we dont really have a choice, we need to do that to continue to survive. Maybe we will have to seek life on another planet, but that will not be for a long time.

As for we being owed anything for being the most advanced creatures, that is pretty much a load of shit. If anything we owe the rest of the world, as we by being the most advanced are the ones that can influence either the survival or destruction of it.

16. Americandesign

Americandesign n00b

Interesting posts...

17. MrPHOBO5

MrPHOBO5 n00b

No.

I am not entirely humane though.

So short answer, yes.

18. r3dw0lf443720

r3dw0lf443720 youngling

personally...

i believe that humanity has a split personality. many people are considered to be 'good' and 'bad' but what we must remember is that morality is technically opinion. there are no atoms of morality, no molecules of belief or any of the such. Humanity has had an assorted past, and the fact that even with our protective instincts most of us don't care for each other. but the part i consider worst of all is our lack of consideration for other forms of life. not many of us care about the fact that most of the other genus's on the earth are suffering for our actions. personally i believe in equality, not just for other races, sexualities, religions and societies, but also for all living things. i would just as soon save a cat from being run over by a car as save a child walking in front of a car. i believe that ALL life is equal and that ALL life is worth protecting.
    that said i must also make it clear, i also believe in natural selection and survival of the fittest, i wouldn't cry if a tiger ate a man because that is the way life works! AS NATURE INTENDED! but i would regret the loss of life. there are many unnatural things that humanity is responsible for, but i guess that is just natural to human behavior.

19. Adelphia

Adelphia It's the Way I am

Despise humanity

Well i see humanity as a parasite to the planet and rather humanity destroyed but there are some good but theres more bad things then good for humanity since we kill,destroy and other things no matter what we do and most of the time all we really care about is greed,lust and a lot luxurious things that we believe we need i say just fucking kill all of humanity and get it the fuck over with

20. xSarejevo

xSarejevo On again~ Off again?

Hmm

Well I find it hard to consider the human race as an absolutely horrible thing. We are on this planet for some reason, be it a God's divine will or as animals ourselves. Whatever the reason, we do have a place on the planet and a role to fill. Would Earth go on just fine without us? Probably. Will we ever find out? Probably. But its important to note that even if we are sucking the land dry, we're only following our most basic instincts; survival and reproduction. In a way, all the unnecessary things in this world could be considered part of our mating rituals and to a further degree, our primitive need to have offspring and continue to prosper.

That was a tangent, but the point remains that even if we are harmful we are simply animals when it comes down to it, and we are trying to continue our existence.