Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Mean means mean?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Half-Heart-Emo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Half-Heart-Emo

Half-Heart-Emo Think Emos are cool ô.-

To all NativeEnglish-Speakers:
    What means the word "mean"?

Every English teacher says u can only say "means" when it's about the meaning of a word like:
    ""Hilfsbereitschaft" means "helpfulness"",

But everyone says mean when he means something like:

"...to show you what I mean"

This was from "Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park, 2:37
    Linkin Park are from LA, California.

2. jenni2010

jenni2010 Online Games Expert

The meaning of mean

Hello My German friend,

mean1   /min/ Show Spelled
    [meen] Show IPA
    verb,meant, mean·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1.to have in mind as one's purpose or intention; intend: I meant to compliment you on your work.
    2.to intend for a particular purpose, destination, etc.: They were meant for each other.
    3.to intend to express or indicate: What do you mean by “liberal”?
    4.to have as its sense or signification; signify: The word “freedom” means many things to many people.
    5.to bring, cause, or produce as a result: This bonus means that we can take a trip to Florida.
    6.to have (certain intentions) toward a person: He didn't mean you any harm.
    7.to have the value of; assume the importance of: Money means everything to them. She means the world to him.

I hope this helps you.

3. Half-Heart-Emo

Half-Heart-Emo Think Emos are cool ô.-

Hmrg...

The LP qoute's like 3 "to intend to express or indicate: What do you mean by “liberal”?".

But in Geman there's the word "Meinung" and it means something like "oppinion"(?), so we lil idiots come and say "meaning" when we mean "opinion", and "mean" for "want to say" or something, so...

4. skater dude(:

skater dude(: n00b

ok Mean "Meens" mean ok lol :pPPPP(it meens to be insulting :p)

5. dragoon1000

dragoon1000 starting a new

means is a proper use of a word and mean is a slang use of a word

6. 19ThatGuy91

19ThatGuy91 ...Wasn't Me.....

mean - can be used in two ways
    " he is mean" or he is being impolite/rude/etc
    or
    "i mean it to be like that" - where this time it is used as a word to refer or indicate something

7. big1665

big1665 n00b

There are different types of mean though some belong together. Mean and meaning are from the same word only that mean is a verb and meaning the noun. So it´s 'Do you mean butter?' for example or 'it has the same meaning'. Meaning in this case is a noun and mean a verb. But there´s also another 'meaning' which is a verb. It comes from the verb mean and is in a different tense so it could be 'I´m meaning that...'. And as one user before already said there is another mean for example 'You´re mean'.

Good translations for the words in german are:
    1. 'Do you mean butter?' = Meinst du Butter?
    2. 'It has the same meaning' = Es hat die gleiche Bedeutung (meaning ist nicht Meinung)
    3. 'I´m meaning that...' = Ich meine, dass...
    4. 'You´re mean' = Du bist gemein

Nummer 2 + 4 bedeuten im Deutschen das gleiche, haben aber (nur) im Englischen verschiedene Formen.

Ich hoffe, dass diese Antwort dir helfen konnte
    Big1665

8. Simsy

Simsy Guest

Mean

I mean what I means, Like the means of the mean mode and median is what I was meant to mean

9. Ddestoryerofworlds2

Ddestoryerofworlds2 The Damn Alpha Man

Mean is all about context/what your talking about.

Just as the others have said. It can be a adjective for behavior (Being mean!)

It can literally mean "What"

Or ways.

Or represent "methods"

It is a word that has *many* uses.

That's English for you though, damn that grammar and having words that have so many definitions/roles. (Not being Sarcastic. English i heard is the hardest language, and this is a reason why!)

10. The Sims

The Sims I aint a game >.

Damn right!! English is THE hardest language. Simply because most countries pronounce a word how it looks, but in english you have words what end in "ough" the letter "c" in most cases is pronounced as an "s".. Lots of confusing verbs and grammar, I am just glad to say I am ENGLISH >.<

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  11. Ddestoryerofworlds2

Ddestoryerofworlds2 The Damn Alpha Man

I am a All American mutt myself. But yeah, in knowing that I am glad English is my first language.