Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Peace or War?

Discussion in 'Intelligent Discussion' started by Charismatic_Caterpie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Charismatic_Caterpie

Charismatic_Caterpie Professional Gamer

While peace may ideally seem the best solution to problems worldwide, war will always be needed to maintain humanity, I believe. It perpetuates economy and bumps off a good few people every time one is started, which slightly prolongs the amount of time before humanity virtually destroys all other natural habits through development, due to the ever rising number of people being born into this world, constantly straining the little space we have left to go. It actually leads to better peacekeeping innovations, as the main drive in wars is to stay technologically ahead of your enemies, so those technologies will help further keep the peace if and when the war ends. Of course, the alternative is that whole nations crushed into obscurity, like many of the great empires of the past have, but that's just the cycle of history. Events repeat, but it's (usually) better for humanity anyway. If millions of people had to die to save the billions of others from a continually approaching end, then I'd say it's justified.

Now, even despite that spiel, I don't think humanity is immediately in danger of running out of space and that the apocalypse is right around the corner, but with the progression of our race as a whole, that could very much be a reality for generations of offspring and our lines of family, in a much larger scale of time. War will always exist, and not just because there are "evil" people in this world.

So, I'd like to see which ideal people support the most, and for what reasons. Thanks!

2. frankenfish

frankenfish Computer Guru

it is true that evil people will always exist but war doesn't have to. we live in a world where war is needed to sustain the balance and i believe that is wrong. peaceful protest is incredibly powerful. just look at Gandhi or MLK. they are portrayed as heroes because they choose to rise above the barbarism of violence and accomplish their goals through peace and diplomacy. even though violence might be justified i feel that generally a peaceful approach, while it would take longer, would be all around better for all parties involved.

think about what would have happened if African Americans on a large scale took up arms against the gov't during the civil rights movement. much more blood would have been shed unnecessarily.

I'm torn though about the situation in Israel. while i stand by that peace is powerful i cant decide whether or not i agree with Israels current operations. they are on a hairpin trigger when it comes to wars because they are virtually surrounded on all sides by enemies. i can understand their actions.

humans by nature are violent. but we also posses the ability to overcome our animistic instincts.

war will give birth to peace. war is the parent. peace is the child. the parent dies before the child. war will cease and make way for the dominion of peace.

i came up with that myself not bad huh?

3. You know. The whole warfare thing occours out of the Human race too.
    Meerkats have wars.
    They're cute, but if they start dev'loping Nuclear weaponary, it could get nasty.

If we are going into warfare. Then what about Just wars.
    You know. The whole "War's can only be fought rightfully if the cause is just" Thing.

Something I'm looking at in my Philosphy and Ethics class.
    If war brings suffering, then war should be avoide'.
    Though if lack of war brings suffering. Then what can you do"?".

4. frankenfish

war is not the only alternative. if lack of war brings suffering then policies must be enacted that eliminate the suffering. its not like its war or nothing

5. Rubylula

Rubylula Like a mother bitch.

Without war, TV will be ruled by Reality TV.
    FIGHT
    FIGHT
    FIGHT

6. DarkStar

DarkStar Banned

To continue Rubys speech.

FIGHT
    FIGHT
    FIGHT
    FIGHT
    FIGHT

And for my own. They are both stupid.

7. laragona

laragona dude......

there cant be peace, there must always be war. if there is peace there is no emotion, wars start because of emotions (ambition, power lust, hatred) take hitler for exaple, he wanted to destroy all jewish people (if you know your history well) its because he and his mother had a strong bond to each other, and one day she got cancer and diddent have long to live, hitler made her docter (jewish) give her a strong medicine that could kill her, and he blamed him for it

8. war is needed in order to maintain peace

9. frankenfish

not true

10. mrmystic

mrmystic MoreAkwardthanaJewateastr

Thanks, Bush. Even you must realise how poorly formed that argument is.

11. childrenofthekorn

childrenofthekorn Harbinger Of Death

I agree entirely. war is caused by the humans urge to conqure(bad spelling). form a new state of mind, and the urge will go away

12. Mr. Buttapple

Mr. Buttapple Sell by Date, 9/01/2010

aka human greed... you want more power more land, so a war is started. The more land is taken up the more wars we will have over the little space left. :D cats are so wise, oh yea!!!

13. Chaossama

Chaossama Just a user, literally

My thought in this is that war can never be avoided. NOBODY has the EXACT same ideas in the EXACT same way, otherwise they'd be clones (and even then, doubtful). And what happens when people have a different way of thinking? They disagree with each other. And thus, conflict begins, which if big enough, becomes war when the disagreement is between two leaders and the only answer they see is violence.

14. mtj

mtj BIG BOSS OF GAMING

i think we all can agree on this

war is evil
    peace is good
    we need war or we will overpopulate inless we become the nuclear family we need war but not all the time

15. mrmystic

mrmystic MoreAkwardthanaJewateastr

I disagree. Just because you like slacks and I like shorts doesn't mean we have to fight. Or because I got to church on saturday and you think wed. is the holy day, must we kill each other? No, war is caused by people, not ideas. Ideas are the excuses people use to kill each other.

I disagree. Most civilized country's birth rates are dropping. It's the 3rd world countries that overpopulate. Don't get me wrong, war is a great aid in population control, but it's not the only one.

16. Chaossama

Oh I agree there. I'm just saying that without such ideas, the people would not have any reason to fight. I believe that it stems less from things like "I like this and you like this other thing" and more like "I believe this is the right way and you believe differently". Given enough disagreement, that can lead to a fight as I am firm in my belief and you are in yours or simply wish to show me how I am wrong. Though if you take it from evolutionary standpoint, it says that animals fight over mates so I suppose that's one thing that could lead to a war (Helen of Troy anyone? The idea might have been exaggerated, but you never know with some people....)

Also, I don't think war is the way to prevent overpopulation, but then again, don't think there is a good way.....people keep having sex and keep having babies, not much you can really do to prevent people from doing so. Sure intelligence goes a way to preventing this, but its apparently economically unfeasible to educate everyone to the point that they don't just make such decisions

(Please note, I could be wrong on all points and will accept that, no conflict here, then?)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  17. frankenfish

it would only take 6 billion dollars to put every child in the world in school. the US just passed and 800 billion dollar package to save a failing economy. priorities mixed up much?

18. Chaossama

Oh definitely, will not argue there. Always been a point of contention with me because honestly, I just think we have too many powerful corporations (who are getting the majority of this stimulus bill) and not enough children or adults educated.

19. frankenfish

i believe this is what your talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSj1yNZdY8

20. Chaossama

Sadly enough, this is too true.....You see what this current economic crisis had on basically everywhere? People are complaining here and there now that this crisis has gone through. Take a few businesses down and EVERYONE suffers. Though I will admit, the idea behind corporations has its pros, its implementation just has too many flaws to do with it. Ah, but then again, I never claimed humans were perfect, and these are human beings running these corporations and taking in these dollars/benefits, etc...

I'm sorry though, I've moved off topic. Though these too could be considered reasons why people go to war. For more oil (Iraq anyone?), to bolster the business of people (the opening of Japan by the British?), you name it, this can be considered yet another way that people conflict about.