Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Shout box

Discussion in 'Comments and suggestions' started by Bball_guy, Apr 27, 2008.

Do you agree

1. yes

42 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. no, i am one of those annoying people.

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Bball_guy

Bball_guy n00b

U should be able to block people on the shout box cause people spam or piss u off when u try to make a friend or talk.

2. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

yea but if you did that they would complain about " why am i not allowed in the shoutbox" then if the mods reason is you pee-ed 1 person off then it isn't really a good enough reason

3. 15/m&bored

15/m&bored Banned

blocking

i think she means like not the person being blocked from the chat altogether but u block them so you cant see what they type, thats what u meant wasnt it?

4. commandx

commandx GAME FREAK

thats called something else though... its called ignore...

5. im2ignorant2care

im2ignorant2care Hersh's French Fry Pirate

I stand by good ol' IRC. I think Petr's swayed towards using IRC, it's just the P.I.A stage of implementing it that gets him. Especially after he put all that effort into the shoutbox.

But if we switched over to IRC instead of the shoutbox, there'd be a minimized level of complaints, as IRC can govern itself.

6. hamster104 9

hamster104 9 linkowatnup

IRC?
    oh...at least 8 characters eh?
    i can see both upsides and downsides to the argument. THey have already been expressed above.

7. Taisunner

Taisunner n00b

some people are real party poopers and annoy people for fun. I don't care anyway.

8. Hershey

Hershey i2's Chocolate Megatron.

Well, a real-time chat would be better, as im2ignorant2care explained,
    Its easier for the moderators to monitor the chat instead of the shoutbox,
    There have been alot of spammers and pervs lately on the shoutbox,
    Blocking people is not enough, we need to get rid of them once and for all

9. im2ignorant2care

im2ignorant2care Hersh's French Fry Pirate

The trick to IRC is that it's a larger load-time than the shoutbox. A load-time large enough where we don't want to force everyone to load it, even if they're only looking to play games.

We'd need some sort of "Click here to load the chats" and after clicking the link, then it loads the java-applet into the window.

I've been hosting a steady IRC server for FGF for about 6 months now, with little to no use. I know Dharok has been trying as hard or if not harder than I, to get people to join the chats as well.

It's quite the predicament.

10. Devin

Devin Administrator Staff Member Administratior

The java loading is stand alone from the page :) So, say if they are loading the homepage, it wouldn't slow down because the IRC is on there.

I am sure Petr could do a simple java script so it does a "popup" of the IRC if you click a button.

11. Jet Chane

Jet Chane n00b

wazza what are u talking about.

12. Critically Explosive

Critically Explosive Nuclear capacity 97.4%...

Great idea! Yeah, do it!

13. By Reason of Insanity

By Reason of Insanity I accidently your post

Its really depends on what kind of image you want on the site and how many users we/you want.

Personally i don't mind if its a shoutbox or IRC aslong as theres a group of interesting intelligent people to talk and discuss issues with then its fine.

By the way, you cannot stop the spammers in the shoutbox just let them go and they will depart by themselves evenually

14. Devin

You've only been here a couple of months, they have always been here, ever since I started here I remember all the perverts in the shoutbox, and that's a couple years ago.

I can stop them, I have toned them down a little with the IP bans I hand out.

15. Angel of Game

Angel of Game You want ban?

I won't be that sure, Devin. You know sammy? He/she's pervert at shoutbox with multiple account and know how to use proxy.

Find his/her house then send him/her to jail. :p

Hell, our pervs are smart. They use brackets or something else to post their e-mail at shoutbox. I think we should remove it then replace it with something else. Like IRC or Xat or something. We can manage them easily by doing this.

16. By Reason of Insanity

Oh god, that sounds terrible. As a Respected Administator yourself, Devin, I guess you have had many requests to stop spammers and pedofiles a like which must get annoying over time when most of the moderators are in the forums where the real discussion goes on.

Just out of intrest, I doubt that this would ever happen, but would the shoutbox ever be shutdown by Petr or whoever if this became a Over the top problem?

17. Devin

It is already "over the top" theirs 20 year olds looking for 12-18 year olds on there, and Petr doesn't mind, he knows they are there.

18. By Reason of Insanity

So to sum and finish it off, I guess its just more traffic and more users to the site which is a good positive, but with what they bring to the table is a negative.....

Your going to want to kill me for asking all these questions Devin, but i did notice that it does in fact say

"Feel free to shout at me here, chat, find good mates or pick up girls. Have Fun! :)"

So technically they arn't doing anything wrong and they TECHNICALLY don't spam by changing 1 or 2 emotions or letters in each message. So annoying as they are, are they really breaking any rules?......technically?

19. celticmoon59

celticmoon59 lone wolf

you aren't really going to stop the perverted people in the adult section. If they don't do it at this site, then they will just go to another website. You can only do so much to stop them, but they will find a way to continue their behavior. I think it would be easy to create a ban that looks for certain words to prevent them from looking for pics or other things. Maybe the administrateos can ban the individuals from doing that type of thing. If they can't be gotten rid of, then it is up to you to just ingnore that or don't go to the website. If a person wants nude pics or other activities, they will find it no matter what you do to prevent them from doing it. As the saying goes "if there's a will there's a way"

20. iMike

iMike The King

I agree because they do tend to get annoying, and you can't do anything really.