Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Stargate SG1

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Elven-Dreams, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Elven-Dreams

Elven-Dreams A world all to my own.

Does anyone besides me remember and miss that show?

2. Lead118

Lead118 waaa

One of my favorite sci-fi shows. I never got into Atlantis however.

3. JanineKitty

JanineKitty Guest

It had nothing on Sliders though.

4. Elven-Dreams

Me either, in fact, i stopped mid way though the Ori arc of SG1, i was not a fan of the cast change...

5. Elven-Dreams

JanineKitty likes this.
  6. Lead118

Lead118 waaa

I vastly prefer O'Neill (two L's) to whatshisname, but I thought the Ori were a really original and quite controversial idea for a mainstream sci-fi series. Also there's one episode near the end of the series which is one of the more emotional things I've seen on TV. I don't know if you remember when the Asgard give the SG team an advanced ship, but an Ori ship fires upon it in a battle, ambush, or something; the crew's only option is to use Asgard technology on board to slow time outside the ship while a beam representing a deathblow against the ship very slowly closes in on them. The goal is to find some way to get out of the situation; only they have to face the seeming reality of the situation: nothing can save them, no matter how long they work - and they have decades in front of them from how slow time is moving outside. It's a somber but beautiful episode.

Mostly with SG-1, I like how the landscape of the show changes: Earth is in trouble from technologically superior aliens, necessitating a sprint for better tech to combat the eventual invasion. As the SG team becomes more advanced, it also becomes clearer that the Goa'uld have been on top so long that they've reached a state of stunted development, relying on their innate superiority to enforce the status quo while engaging in petty turf wars with one another. Thus when Earth's forces finally supersede the Goa'uld though a combination of technology and more creative tactics, the true nature of the Goa'uld as a decadent, fossilized civilization becomes over-apparent, and they crumble. That alone would have made an amazing series, yet they continue with the Replicators and the Ori. It's such a shame that the writing couldn't stay as great (even though I hear Atlantis was still good), and Universe had to muck it all up.

7. JanineKitty

JanineKitty Guest

I never actually saw Sliders but I know it's got a reputation.

8. Elven-Dreams

9. Elven-Dreams

That's kinda why i didn't get though the Ori arc, at some point Jack, Denial and Sam are all out of the picture at the same time and i just stopped caring, Whatshisface and Vala weren't particularly interesting characters and Vala, was, annoying...I was specifically waiting for a big battle where you have Earth, Asgard & Goa'uld ships trying to fight off few, or hell, even a single Ori ship, i love that kinda stuff, but i never made it that far...And yes, i do know of that scene, randomly came across it on Youtube.

10. Lead118

Lead118 waaa

Vala never bugged me. I guess I'm used to that archetype. I stayed with it because I just found the Ori to be interesting. I don't remember Sam and Daniel really taking a backseat like Jack did however. From what I remember, they were both pretty active in the hunt for the Sangraal near the end of the series. Looking back on it, I think the weakest part may have been that stretch right after Jack left or the season without Daniel. I guess the first season wasn't all that great either. It took a bit for the show to catch its stride. Talking about this makes me want watch the other sci-fi shows that were big in the 90's and early 00's: Babylon 5, Farscape and the like.

11. Transparent_Shadow

Transparent_Shadow ~Helping and working on reviving the FGF Staff Member Administratior Moderator

Remember the show advertised on Tv, but never got to watch it properly... So I guess I never got deep in to it...