Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Suggestions on Spam Control.

Discussion in 'Comments and suggestions' started by Blaze, May 23, 2008.

1. Blaze

Blaze Guest

Lately, there's been a massive influx of spam threads/posts, I have some suggestions to help cope with it:

1. Links, instead of having 30 posts, have them wait 2-3 days. This way, spammers will not be able to post links so quickly.

2. Limit smilies, approximate 5 per post, smilies will not count as letters in the post minimum. Smilies are being overused to the point of being the entire posts at times.

3. Raise post minimum to 16 letters, We don't need posts with one or two words.

2. NinjaMonkey

NinjaMonkey Master Exploder

Ahh, yet another brilliant idea pulled from Blaze's Magical Sack 'O' Smartness.

I completely agree with Blaze. Though Blaze's ideas wouldn't completely abolish spam, they would certainly help a great deal.

3. im2ignorant2care

im2ignorant2care Hersh's French Fry Pirate

I think we need a swat team of mini-mods to tactically eliminate each spammer..

Although Blaze's idea is much more productive..

If it were up to me, it'd be a zero-tolerance policy.
    First spam thread; Gone.
    Second spam thread; I go after your family.

The Iron Fist of FGF, baby.

4. flashlfc

flashlfc n00b

I cant let u post more than twice at tops!!!:D

Shush. You don't want to get warned for spam, do you?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  5. im2ignorant2care

Man.. We had three great posters in a row.. For a second I saw this thread as a meeting of the FGF heroes..

..Then look who showed up..

6. RayneK

RayneK I'a Cthulhu fhtagn

My thoughts exactly ignorant lol

As for Blaze's idea, I think it'd work.
    The only thing I'm not too clear on is point 1:
    Would the 30 post requirement be augmented with the 2-3 days thing or be switched out? If someone was really hell bent on spamming, they would make multiple accounts days in advance (not posting with any of them until they could post links) then throwing post after post of spam with their 'grown' accounts. Just a thought.

7. im2ignorant2care

I think what Blaze was getting at with the 2-3 days thing, is that a majority of spam is in the Spam-of-the-moment..

Someone signs up, and just starts foaming at the mouth with stupid things to say..

If they're forced to wait 2-3 days, then they'll be taken out of the heat of the moment.

Another thing that this all reminded me of, is at another forum system I worked for, they gave you 10 posts for 24 hours. Once you hit 50 posts, you got 25 in the 24 hours. Once hitting 150, you got 50, and at 500, the limit was taken off. I'm not saying use those exact numbers, I'm just recalling experience.

For normal people, you'd never hit those maximums, anyway. It just makes cleaning up spammers easier. And avoids the "30 posts per day"ers.

*cough*(Twin D's of destruction)*cough*

8. DarkStar

DarkStar Banned

The forums could have a post limiter say ten or twenty posts per day.

It could not stop them but it might deter them

*EDIT:sorry,when i was posting this while ignorant was*

please dont kill me

*runs for his life*

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2008
  9. wazza

wazza Funny Dude

this is a rule that could be made for spammers that they can not make a thread after thread they can make at the most 3 in a day adn if they try and make another thread then this should come up MAXIMUM FOR TODAY

10. Kyoujin

Kyoujin Growls engraved over time

first of all, i agree with blaze's idea, especially the one with the minimum letters cuz spammers mostly say hi or do this-->(;):sad::):roftl::thumb::coolgleam:;):D )and that is very annoying for users who makes posts that might help somebody and ppl who is just saying good ideas which is like 2 words, thats annoying, thier raising thier post count faster and effortlessly and we put alot of our effort onto our posts. Remember that guy who put pictures of a guy opening his anus or that guy that made rules like spam all you want, and to prevent those incidents from happening ever happening, we should take darkstars adivice and limit posts count to (even lower) 10 a day. So if a guy (<--Spammer) wants to get the ranks, well he is gana have to wait a very long time.

11. unholy

unholy /\\//\\//\

I completely agree with Blaze, which has been stated many a times. Though it wouldn't get rid of all spammers, it would get rid of quite a few. 2ignorant2care has mentioned a nice system (though it wasn't his in the first place) but I would be too assed to get my post count up to be able to post as much as I would like, maybe 10 posts an hour, then when you hit 50, you get 25 pph (posts per hour), then when you hit 100, 50 pph and etc. I also believe that there should be a grammar/spelling mod, seriously.

[off-topic]Who exactly are these "FGF heroes"? Do you have a list of some sort? (Not sarcasm, I would really like to a see a list of the "FGF heroes".)[/off-topic]

12. Charismatic_Caterpie

Charismatic_Caterpie Professional Gamer

# 2 and 3 sound fine, but for number one? Possibly that, with the addition of a daily or bi-daily link limiter (2-5 links per whatever length of time) for everyone, except for situations where there needed to be additional links, in that case, an administrator or moderator could add it in, as a temporary power. So the rule would still apply to moderators, but could be stretched for good reasons and causes.

Sounds a lot like gamefaqs... or was it that other one? I don't remember too much, but there was gamefaqs and its sibling site, which implemented a system similar to that. It sounds efficient.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008