Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

Traditiona Animation or Computer 3D Animation?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RuneKnight94, Feb 28, 2013.

Which do you prefer?

1. Traditional Animation (2D)

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Computer Animation (3D)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Stop Motion (clay models and pictures)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RuneKnight94

RuneKnight94 Misses his 3DS ~w~

This is mainly for discussion about the animated movies, but more to the side of how they were animated. Traditional Animation, is the one we still see in some cartoons, it is drawn by the artist mainly. It doesn't have to be entirely at hand, there is software to do it in computer, but the traditional animation, all in all, is when you do the 2D, drawings and give them movement. Then we have Computer 3D, this one the best way to explain it is with Pixar and DreamWorks, they are in my opinion the leading companies in this matter. So, what you people think?

For me, my favorite would be Traditional. Why? I grew up with Disney movies, most of them were drawn in paper sheets and there's actually a good flow in the movements they do for the animation to look very fluid (which personally, I can tell you guys it is really hard working) and not miss too much of the flow of the movements made. Still, I respect the hardwork of those who make 3D animation, even if the work is simple, you still have a lot to do with the 3D model, adding textures, making the animation look at a good pace, well executed movements, there's pretty much to this one since it is dominating the market with movies and videogames too.

EDIT: I forgot one more animation technique, really impressive and that needs to be mentioned: Stop Motion. Using figures, basically you take snaps of each movement the character will make, making it a long process, but still a great way to make movies that has a better feeling that some 3D movies, Tim Burton is one of the best examples for this technique.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Darrkness

Darrkness S-Ranked Strider

i love all 3 but my favorite is probably always going to be traditional.

3. thatonegirl101

thatonegirl101 hello:)

I miss traditional. I feel as if everything is going 3D.

4. Managarm

Managarm he will swallow the moon

Traditional animation all the way

I have always preferred traditional animation. There seems to be more of the artist put into the animation than in 3D animation. Also traditional animation, at least the movies and older television series, tend to have a much more thought out story and plot structure were I feel 3D animation tends to rely on attempting to just be impressive visually. Stop motion animation is also pretty awesome, but do to the limitations of the media itself there's a lot of things it can't do which traditional animation can do visually and conceptually.