Welcome to Funny Games

Play top FREE games daily
Register Now

[Tutorial] ~The Basics of Game Making~

Discussion in 'Flash & ActionScript' started by Denegoth, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Denegoth

Denegoth n00b

I've been reading this forum for a while and it seems there is one question bugging everyone.

"How do I make a game?"

Well hopefully I can offer some insight into this, being a Flash Game Developer myself.

The Tools
    All tools can be found on the Adobe website. Google Adobe to find it.

Flash
    This is the main tool you will need. It can be used for game making, animation, or art. Or all 3 at once!

~OPTIONAL~ Photoshop
    For the artsy types. You can integrate art from Photoshop into Flash CS3 which is extremely useful.

Learning to Code
    This is definately the hardest part. Don't expect to pick this up instantly, it takes dedication. I have been coding for two years and even now I can't do much amazing stuff. Of course I have been distracted by many other things.

There are several websites out there to help you learn, the most useful being Tutorialized (Google it)

If anyone has any questions, or wishes to learn directly from me, post in this thread or send me a PM :D

-Denegoth

2. DevonC7496

DevonC7496 da nu and ht gye

But.....

but then how do you go in da area 4 da game making...
    DUH!
    sorry 4 bein such a jerk but um where do I go PLZ TELL ME:sad::sad::sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2009
  3. Devin

Devin Administrator Staff Member Administratior

There is no area that says "GAme Making" you have to code it, you don't just go through a menu and select a box of what you want, or anything like that. It all requires coding, which could take a FEW YEARS to be very good at. Based on how your posting skills are, I say you are around 12.

4. Denegoth

Denegoth n00b

If you wish to use a program that allows you to do it easily, I would recommend Game Maker. It's simple, but still not extremely straightforward. Rom modding is a good place to start if you want easy click and drag stuff with no coding. I'd recommend modding a Super Mario rom or Legend of Zelda rom to start.

These things can't easily make you money, so it would be better off to start with Flash.

5. DevonC7496

DevonC7496 da nu and ht gye

and what next

how much post skills do you need to make a game and when you do have them how do you make a game and how do you get posting skills!

6. devex3

devex3 n00b

Adobe Flash CS3

Adobe flash CS3 costs quite a bit... anything cheaper?

7. Devin

Devin Administrator Staff Member Administratior

Post skills? There is no such thing.

8. Denegoth

Denegoth n00b

If you can find a copy of Flash 8, I think it would be legal to pirate it. Macromedia are no longer around, and Adobe do not sell it anymore.

I apologise if I'm wrong though.

9. hunterxxl4

hunterxxl4 hunter_007

If you at school or college ask your teacher. They gave me a code for it :)

10. Tigerfoot

Tigerfoot n00b

:confused:
    I typed in adobe but it didn't come up with what i was after. I typed in adobe flash game maker and it came up with it to download. But you have to make an account, and type in irrelevant personal details about a job, I AM A KID!! Did i do something wrong?

11. Chaossama

Chaossama Just a user, literally

You need Adobe Flash.

It does not require registration, however, the version on the site is no longer free for anything longer than a 30-day trial.

Get it HERE

12. BigFishy

BigFishy User title

if youve never used flash brfore dont go straight to making games..... thts stupid. learn how to do it, like simple animations would be a good start, and learning how to upgrade quality of animaqtion, or speed. Also i reccomend flash mx for begginers.

if you want to know how to make a quick animation carry on reading...

ok, open flash mx.
    first we need to set it to our desired frame speed. click anywhere on the background and the proporties bar should come up. where it says frame speed pit 25. where it says background colour, select a light orange or creamy sort to colour.
    now we're set up for our animation. press insert text.Type Flash Mx into it. then click on the text you have created. the propoties bar will come up. Turn it red, set its font size to 25, and select font 'Verenda'. now drag it off the left side on the page, so it is not on the coloured "paper". thats about halfway.

ok, now click on the framebox at the top. right click frame 25, and select insert keyframe. now you will see it have already filled in all the boxes from 1 to 24. highlight them all, and rightclick 'create motion tween'. press puplish preview, and thats the animation. add some decoration on layer 2, if you like. you can use this for anything, like making a fish swim underwater.

13. punguawud

punguawud Banned

make FREE online games
    all unique
    no need to download anything

Playcrafter.com
    Google it

you can also submit your games to certain websites! :thumb: